Monday, 29 June 2009

Giant's leg is starting to look better, most of the swelling is gone, its still just a tiny bit warmer than the other leg. Took him for a hack out off Harry, we went down Harakeke Rd and then the new road, right down the end where we went a few weeks ago. Gave them a trot together where the ground was soft. It was freezing and windy, Giant started a bit on his toes how he can be in that sort of weather, but he and Harry are really happy hacking out together like that so he settled pretty well.

Saddled Giant up and took him down for more work, started out with his new favourite, the pompom. He is good with it all over his body, its just up the top of his neck, around his ears and his nose. Strangely he actually likes it rubbed on his forehead lol.

At the moment I am trying to teach him that running backwards and throwing his head around does nothing, the only way to get rid of the pompom is to put his head down and wait. So I put it somewhere he doesn't like, ask him to lower his head, take it away as a reward. Repeat manytimes... I can rub it all over his head and ears now, hes not thrilled by it and tries to get away sometimes, but he can deal with it. I want to get him to wear he can deal with wearing it and not panic.

Then I put the tarp over him and got him to carry it around like Ra. He wasn't too convinced, but was good about it, didn't like it flapping around his legs, but he got better.

And finally attached the pompom to has saddle and gave him a quite lunge, he wasn't too sure of this either, but I just kept him going and focused on me doing walk trot trans until he got over it. Gave him a bit of a trot and canter. He should be fine to start some riding again tomorrow, just nothing to heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment